Fishing US Virgin Islands


Frequently Asked Questions

We are staying on St John; do we have to come over to St Thomas to meet the boat?
If you are staying on St John we will be happy to come over and pick you up. In Cruz Bay, we can pull into “the creek” (area closer to Mongoose Junction) to the National Park Visitor Center’s small dock. If you are staying at Caneel Bay Resort we can come in and pick you up at the resort’s dock. If you are staying at the Westin Resort, please contact us as they have changed their pick-up policy. (3/17/08)

How do we reserve a trip?
We will hold a reservation on a VISA, MC, or AMEX. We observe a 48 hr/50% cancellation policy from November 1st through April. From May 1st through October we observe a 30 day/50% cancellation policy. At the end of your trip, we accept VISA, MC, AMEX, Traveler's checks and even cash for payment.

Are children welcome aboard?
We love children and Marlin Prince’s cockpit area is a secure place for small children to learn to fish. Sea conditions, the type of trip, the child’s personality and the parent’s willingness to focus on the child’s safety as well as fish are factors that you need to consider. The Captain and mate’s job will be to provide you with a safe fun fishing experience. We cannot be babysitters. The Captain rules (i.e. limiting access to the bridge area or unruly behaviour) must be respected.

Do I need a fishing license?
As our guest, you are covered by all the licenses Marlin Prince carries. As of July 2004, the British Virgin Islands Government requires all non-BVI registered vessels fishing in their waters (including the North Drop) to purchase a license. Marlin Prince is fully licensed and recognized by the BVI as being in full compliance of their Ministry of Fisheries policies. Our license as a charter boat operating in BVI waters covers you as our anglers. Marlin Prince also maintains all necessary licenses and documentation in accordance with the requirements as set forth by the US Virgin Islands Government, US Coast Guard & US Federal Government.

What about the edible catch?
For our Sportfishing Charters, we are happy to clean up to 20lbs.of fish for your local kitchen. A commercial style trip is available for the entire catch. We observe a catch and release policy for all billfish.

Can we mount our catch?
Yes, we can assist you with the information needed to order a mount. The completed fish will be mailed to you in just a few weeks. And your fish no longer needs to be killed to have a mount.

May I arrange to give a trip as a gift?
A gift certificate is a terrific present for the lucky fisherman in your life! Let us create a personalised certificate for the recipient. Payment in advance can be arranged by check or credit card.

Have a question not addressed here? Please call or send us an email.

back to top